Sunday, January 4, 2009

This picture was taken in August, 1959 (JFLS 7)

This picture was taken in August, 1959. Mom and I and the boys had just departed Chaumont AB, France on our way to Amarillo AFB, Texas. We had spent three years and six months at Chaumont, had reenlisted in the U.S. Air Force for six more years while there and was so to speak, now committed to an Air Force career. Not necessarily but probably. Those in the first picture include (left to right) Daniel Benjamin Jenkins (Don Sr’s grandfather), born 6 Apr 1879 in Wakeman, Ohio and died 28 Dec 1962 at age 83 in Elyria, Ohio; Caryl LeRoy Jenkins (Don Sr’s father) born 25 Jul 1903 in Kipton, Ohio and died 12 July 1967 at age 63 in Elyria, Ohio; Bessie Ann Jenkins nee Clark nee Harding (Daniel Benjamin’s second wife) born 24 Feb 1887 in Medina, Ohio and died 21 Jun 1964 at age 77 in Lorain, Ohio; Constance Mary Elizabeth Jenkins nee Dean (Caryl’s wife and Don Sr’s mother) born 20 Jul 1902 in Amesbury, England and died 29 Mar 1994 at age 91 in Elyria, Ohio ;Michael Anthony Jenkins (Don Sr and Jen’s second son) born 13 Oct 1955 in Wichita Falls, Texas; Jennie Ruth Jenkins nee Prida (Don Sr’s wife and Don Jr and Michael’s mother) born 22 May 1938 in Cleveland, Ohio; and Donald LeRoy Jenkins Jr (Don Sr and Jen’s first son) born 20 May 1954 in Elyria, Ohio. The dog in the picture is Eclaire (like the French pastry), bought while Don and Jen and Don Jr and Mike were stationed in France. We brought her home with us. She was a great family dog. This picture was taken at Grandpa Daniel and Grandma Bessie Jenkins home at 37892 Center Ridge Road in North Ridgeville, Ohio. We had gone there for dinner and were sitting at the picnic table in the side yard next to their home. It was a big lot, not very wide but very deep. Grandpa Jenkins farmed the back half of the property plus had a dog kennel where he raised and sold Boston Terriers and Cocker Spaniels for a period of time. I believe as he got older he decided to get out of the grocery business and pursue the dog breeding and selling business. He applied for his license to do that in 1941. I can remember going in to the kennel out behind the house and all of the dogs would start barking. They were so much fun to play with. I don’t remember venturing out in to the back part of the property that he farmed and when I say farmed I do not mean on a large scale that I remember. He had a good sized garden but I don’t honestly remember how big it was or what he had planted. The house had a main floor, upstairs and basement. I can’t remember ever going upstairs but remember the kitchen and the good smells that came from there. There was not much front yard. It was pretty much located right on the road. Before the road was called Center Ridge Road it was called Cleveland Road or Cleveland Street as that was the way most that drove to Cleveland, Ohio traveled and many still do.
The second picture was taken at the same location and shows Constance Mary, Daniel, Bessie and Don Jr., again standing and sitting around the picnic table beside the house. Unfortunately, as young people, we never spend as much time as we should with our parents and grandparents, getting to know them better. Both Mom and I wish now that we had spent more time with Grandpa Daniel and Bessie so that we would have more memories of their lives and just know more about them. We have heard stories about the earlier years but have never heard “them” talk about them. Grandpa Daniel was always very nice to us but I wish I could remember more. Grandma Bessie was always at a handicap because my Mom and Dad always were closer to Jessie but Bessie was also always very nice to us. I am sure that she knew she had a hard row to hoe in that respect but tried her best. We look at pictures and try to recall but that never seems to do the situation much justice. It is good that we have pictures but it would be even better if we had recordings so we could hear their voices as well as their account of happenings. I think I will try to do that a little. Maybe even just reading some of these Library Series and adding a little as my mind recalls situations would be interesting. Like when Grandpa Daniel had a grocery store in Elyria on Lake Avenue, where he and his first wife Jessie worked. My dad Caryl talked about this on an occasion. We have pictures of the truck Grandpa Daniel owned with “Jenkins Groceries” on the side. My dad Caryl, did work there but probably not much, in fact probably much like I worked along side my dad. Not very much. My dad was a carpenter and cabinetmaker and very skilled at it and if a little of it rubbed off on me it was probably not very much. I regret it now more than anyone knows. I could have learned so much. You probably notice that Grandpa Daniel has a cane and I remember clearly that that he favored his right leg very much and always walked with a distinct limp or “hobble” to the right side. Not sure if it was his hip or leg, but.. On one visit to Grandpa Daniel’s when I was pretty small (I think within the first few years) one of his Boston Terriers had the honor of biting me on the nose when I was on the floor. I am told that I responded with an explanatory that was unexpected. That boston also has the honor of having been bit back on his nose by me to get even. He must have been surprised. We have a great family. One time of course we will talk more about Daniel, Jessie and Bessie. And of course there are many more Library Series to be typed up. It is fun for Mom and I and we hope that it is interesting and fun for you. Perhaps it will generate some questions from you that will cause us to remember more too. Till next time..


2 comments:

  1. Mike asked: Do you have a frontal picture of Grandma Jenkins at this age? I can only remember her as being gray haired, did she ever have any color? Is this where our terrier came from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandpa Responded: Jenkins3 shows my Mom and Dad standing together in front of our house at 165 Courtland St probably in the same time frame as the pictures in Jenkins Family History Series -7. So that is a frontal view of Mom. Her hair maybe a little darker. As far as Mom’s hair color is concerned I think she was originally a dark auburn although you cannot tell that much from the black and white pictures. Sis’s was auburn and mine when younger was red so I believe that is where it came from. The other picture left to right shows Grandpa Daniel, Grandma Bessie, Don Sr, Constance Mary (my mom) and Constance Marie (my sister). This was taken in front of Grandpa Daniel’s home at 821 Lake Ave, Elyria. I was probably around 1-2 years old. My mom is probably around 36 here.

    Jenkins2 001 starts off with a fairly old picture left to right Grandpa Daniel, Grandma Jessie (my dad’s mother), Caryl (my dad), and the other two I do not know. The next picture is of my Dad and Mom, probably when they were dating just prior to marriage. The next picture left to right is Grandpa Daniel, Don Sr (about 1-2 years old), Constance Marie (my sister), Caryl (my dad) and Constance Mary (my mom).

    Jenkins1 001 starts off with my Dad and Mom sitting in front of a house, a while after they had been married. Have not thought much about the date. Might be a little hard to figure out. The next two pictures is of Constance Marie (my sister) and Grandpa Daniel with some of his new Boston Terrier puppies.

    This gives you a feel for what they looked like a little younger.

    No Mike, we never did get any of our Boston’s from Grandpa Daniel.
    Hope this helps a little.

    Love you all. Mom and Dad/Grandpa and Grandpa & Bro

    ReplyDelete